SEEKINGBand to Join.
Looking to Teach / Gig- can usually be ready to play a full night in 0-3 days! (standards/rock tunes/long list of known ones)
hundreds of tunes, ready to go & documented for ease of review...and hundreds more I cant think of! :) lots of styles, 40 + country tunes, standards and can usually follow along to most bands by just watching while playing (played many a gig with no rehearsal, and made band & crowd very happy with it!)
I want to maintain employment where my skills as a professional musician can be best utilized. I will also consider consulting / sales / management related roles, projects, as well as playing, teaching, mentoring opportunities, performing live or in studio, developing & recording originals are all of interest. Jjfraser@shaw.ca
more tunes at:
• Experienced player, with excellent skills, gear & 30 years live / studio experience.
• Decades in Top “A” circuit bands including Winterkill, Locomotion, Fist, Ally, Zion’s Abyss, Loose Talk, Vacation on Mars, Basler, Dan DeSantas Band, and more.
• Educated/trained in theory, composition, and performance at Grant Mac Ewan (GMU).
• Over 40 Original instrumental / “concepts” ready for arranging / collaboration / recording
• Played/Recorded Originals, Metal, Rock, Pop/Top 40, Jazz, Blues, Country and various Fusions.
• Guest spots opening for/playing with the Tommy Banks Orchestra (and on His Radio Show while at GMCC / GMU for music program in the 80’s).
• Leader/Bassist for “A” Original & Cover Band Winterkill (1986-1994), high Calibre Heavy Metal
&; Opening Act spots for Nazareth and Blue Oyster Cult.
&; Full Original Album and set performed live in “A” Rooms across Western Canada as showcase / Headliner.
• 3 Years with local Recording Act / Blues Band Locomotion (1983-1986)– a Regular in rotation at “Blues on Whyte” (Commercial Hotel) and full night of Country sets used when touring as needed.
• Tributes: Rush, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Rush, BB King and The Doors.
• Experience in venues up to 5000 seats (originals and covers).
• Played every style - from Rock/Blues/Jazz trios to big band. Suited well for all.
• Functioning Guitarist, Percussionist, Drummer, Keyboard and Backing Vocalist
• Maintained professional management career in parallel for over 25 years.
• A stable secure person who loves music and continually developing as a musician!
Set lists available: Approximately 500 documented rock/blues/country/standards/jazz songs available for review & can have any 50 ready within days to play live, hundreds more, including many classics undocumented!
Have Real Book, will travel!
Example Tunes Camel and Dim in Dm are rough sample tracks - "notes on a cocktail napkin",with all parts played on bass
See more at:
for more on management experience see:
- Screen name:
- John Fraser
- Member since:
- Nov 06 2015
- Active within 1 week
- Level of commitment:
- Very Committed
- Years playing music:
- Gigs played:
- Over 100
- Tend to practice:
- More than 3 times per week
- Available to gig:
- 6-7 nights a week
I have always focused on developmental efforts. My interest is in work that allows me to enjoy my love of music / playing.
Experience and ties to recording and playing big or small venues as a bass player in Edmonton and beyond, I have worked with many bands encompassing all styles. As a well rounded, progressive player, my leading influences are Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, Mars Cowling, Steve Bailey, Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius, Justin Chancellor, Chris Devine, Wes Caswell, and many more.
Bands - Rush, Yes, Led Zep, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath / Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Weather Report, Dream Theater, King Crimson, Al Di Meola, Tonnes of Blues, Classic Rock... Many more!
With training from Grant Mac Ewan, I have learned much... and forgotten some! ;)
I am well versed in theory, composition, and soloing. I have spent hundreds of hours in studios, recording, arranging, and providing tracks for many different artists and styles.
After 30 years of music, string instruments, percussion, playing techniques, “luthier” practices, building materials, technology, equipment and their effects on timbre and sonority, I understand how to build performance, presentation, sound, and the business, as well as trends in local music, recording, licensing and distribution models, social media use.
Full or part time, contract, agent or outsource; playing live or in studio, learning / customizing and delivering lesson plans to guitar, bass, percussion, or keyboard students, or in support of your corporate goals and initiatives as sales, management, or consultant, my interest is to determine what potential opportunities may exist to help you reach your goals while reaching my own.
Be it as a musician, or support role, I would be very interested in providing services aligned with your needs.
I have included a link to my LinkedIn profile to demonstrate my responsible nature, corporate and entrepreneurial work experience / history, including business process optimization, and would welcome the opportunity to meet / show case my abilities specific to your interests (musical or otherwise). An equipment list follows below, corporate resume available upon request.
- Bass Guitar:
- Rhythm Guitar:
- Acoustic Guitar:
- Other Percussion:
- Background Singer:
- Lead Guitar:
- Upright bass:
Amplification / Effects:
• Markbass SA450 amp (500w at 4 ohms)
• Markbass LMK II amp (900w at 4 ohms)
• 2 Bergantino AE 410 Cab (800w at 4ohms each)
• 2 Bergantino AE 210 cabs (400w at 4ohms each)
• JBL 2x15 cabinet (800w at 4 ohms)
• Hartke LH1000 Amp (1000w at 4 ohms Mono, stereo @8-2ohms)
• Ampeg SVT Classic, (300w at 2, 4, 8 ohms, c. 2001 USA made)
• Boss MB50 bass effects pedal
• Boss Roland RC20 Loop-Station
• Tone bone Bass bone / DI multi channel
• Fender bassman micro pre amp (walkman style headphone amp)
• Boss Micro BR recorder (Portable MP3 trainer/4 track Recording studio)
• Marshall 50w Tube combo guitar amp
• Dingwall Afterburner 1.5 5 string bass (2007)
• Dingwall Z3 5 string bass (2011)
• Dingwall Z2 5 string bass (2010)
• Rickenbacker 4003 bass (2010)
• Rickenbacker 4003 “custom” (1 of 6 commissioned for Chris Squire in 2007)
• Steinberger XP2 4 bass (1980’s)
• Ibanez Gary Willis 5 string fretless bass (2006)
• Gerald Veasley Ibanez 6 string electric bass (2012)
• Hamer Blitz 4 string (1985)
• Washburn AB10BK 4 string Acoustic Bass
• Ovation acoustic / electric 6 string Guitar (1990’s)
• Line 6 “Vari-Axe” bass (4 string) active “synth” bass (2007)
• Heartfield 4 string bass (1988)
• Gibson Les Paul Studio guitar (2012)
Camel rough draft all parts played on Bass
Camel rough draft all parts played on Bass Year: 2011 Genre: Rock
original idea - rough track all parts played on bass!
Dim in Dmin rough draft all parts played on bass
Dim in Dmin rough draft all parts played on bass Year: 2012
original idea - rough copy - all tracks played on bass
Lovely Lady Year: 2009 Genre: Rock
Dan Desantis Original - bass track added to draft- no vox or guitar yet
Fairies Wear Boots sample (Winterkill)
Fairies Wear Boots sample (Winterkill) Year: 1989 Genre: Metal
short sample of cover recording black sabbath
Victim of Changes (sample) Winterkill
Victim of Changes (sample) Winterkill Year: 1989 Genre: Metal
short sample cover tune - JP whiskey woman (victim of changes) thanks to Ron Chenier and Fist for recording and producing support
Hunting (Winterkil originall)
Hunting (Winterkil originall) Year: 1989 Album: EP Genre: Metal
Original Winterkill Sample recording AKA "hunting humans/son of sam" Thanks to Ron Chenier and Fist for Recording and production support
Chameleon (Winterkill Original)
Chameleon (Winterkill Original) Year: 1989 Genre: Metal
original sample recording - thanks to Ron Chenier and Fist for recording and production support! see more on utube -search winterkill edmonton